THE STATE STEPPED BACK

Monday, 11 May 2026

Seven stories today.

Nigeria is moving. INEC opened voter registration, the opposition zoned a ticket, a billionaire announced a power project. Each movement shows exactly how far the country still has to go.

Here's what happened.

  1. Dangote said he'll fix the lights. Here's what that actually means.
  2. The final voter registration window opened this morning. This is your last chance.
  3. The NDC zoned its 2027 ticket to the South. Peter Obi is now the obvious candidate.
  4. Sadiya Farouq ran Nigeria's social protection programmes. The EFCC just declared her wanted.
  5. The Lens: What the week was before the noise arrived.
  6. My Father's Shadow won Best Movie at the AMVCA. A British-Nigerian film just beat Nollywood at its own night.
  7. Football: Rashford. Arsenal. El Clasico.

Let's dig deeper. Here's what it means.

1. DANGOTE SAID HE'LL FIX THE LIGHTS

Aliko Dangote announced plans for a 20,000-megawatt power project last week. Nigeria's government has been trying to reach 6,000 megawatts for years. It hasn't managed it.

Nigeria runs on 3,331 megawatts. That's what the national grid reliably delivers to a country of more than 200 million people. One major city needs more than that. The rest of the country fills the gap with diesel generators. Loud, expensive, running around the clock in homes, offices, hospitals, and markets across the country. The World Bank puts the cost of this failure at roughly $29 billion every year. That's about 10 percent of GDP, quietly bleeding out through generator fuel and lost industrial output every single year.

Last week, speaking at the International Finance Corporation's headquarters in Washington, Dangote said his group is going into power. Twenty thousand megawatts. He didn't share a timeline or a financing breakdown. He stated the number and moved on.

This means one private company is proposing to generate more electricity than Nigeria's entire installed capacity. Nigeria currently has about 13,000 megawatts of installed generation. Most of it isn't available at any given moment because of gas shortages, transmission failures, and unpaid debts that have choked the sector for decades. Dangote is talking about building something that would exceed all of it.

This is not the first time someone has announced a target. Former Power Minister Adebayo Adelabu set targets for 6,000 megawatts. Three separate deadlines passed. The grid didn't move. He resigned last month to run for Oyo State governor. Before Adelabu, there were privatisation programmes under Obasanjo, generation pledges under Jonathan, and reform frameworks under Buhari. Each one carried the confidence of the moment it was announced. None of them delivered.

The new Power Minister, Joseph Tegbe, was confirmed just five days ago. He told the Senate he'd fix grid collapse within three months. Then his spokesperson clarified that he hadn't said three months. He'd said 100 days for initial stabilisation. A year for broader reforms. The clarification came before his first week was out. The language was different from Adelabu's megawatt targets. The pattern was familiar.

Dangote is different in one specific way. He built a 650,000-barrel-per-day refinery when the state told Nigerians for decades that a private refinery on that scale was impossible. He assembled the financing, the vertical integration, and the scale to do it. That structure exists and is generating cash flow. He said as much in Washington. "We have now actually freed up our assets and we can actually raise more money. Our cash flow now is very, very strong."

This means the money isn't theoretical. What isn't clear is the generation mix, the grid connection plan, or how his project navigates a sector where distribution companies can't collect revenue and gas suppliers go unpaid. The regulatory environment has resisted cost-reflective tariffs for years. The refinery succeeded partly because Dangote could bypass the state's infrastructure. Power generation for a national grid doesn't work that way.

Here's what sits underneath this announcement. The Nigerian state has surrendered one of its core obligations. Not officially. Not through any declaration. Just through sixty years of missed targets, collapsed grids, and generator dependency so normalised that a private businessman proposing to fix it is received as news. Not as scandal.

That is the moment worth sitting with. Not whether Dangote can do it. But that exhausted, pragmatic, rational Nigerians hear his name attached to 20,000 megawatts and think he might actually pull this off.

What that says about the state, nobody is saying out loud.

2. YOUR LAST CHANCE

INEC opened the final voter registration window this morning. The elections are in January 2027. The window closes on July 10. After that, it's done.

Nigeria's final phase of Continuous Voter Registration began nationwide today, May 11. INEC describes this as the third and final phase before the 2027 general elections. The presidential election is fixed for early 2027. If you're not registered by July 10, you don't vote.

This means something specific for a large number of Nigerians. Those who turned 18 since the last registration window. Those who moved and never transferred their polling unit. Those who lost their PVC and haven't replaced it. Those who registered years ago under a name or address that no longer matches their ID. All of them have sixty days.

You can start the process online at cvr.inecnigeria.org before completing biometric capture in person at your nearest INEC office. The second phase, which ran from January to April this year, recorded 3.7 million completed registrations. This final phase is expected to run bigger.

The harder question isn't logistical. It's whether Nigerians who watched the 2019 and 2023 elections play out the way they did still believe that registration leads anywhere. The 2023 election produced the highest number of registered voters in Nigerian history and a result that went to the Supreme Court. The platform Peter Obi ran on in 2023 no longer exists. He's in a new party. The same people who asked Nigerians to register in their millions are asking them to do it again.

Sixty days is enough time to register. Whether it's enough time to rebuild the case for participating is a different question.

3. THE TICKET IS ZONED

The NDC held its first national convention on Saturday and zoned its 2027 presidential ticket to the South. Peter Obi didn't need them to say his name.

The Nigeria Democratic Congress met at a convention centre in Abuja on Saturday. By the time the afternoon was over, delegates had passed a motion to zone the presidential ticket to the South for a single four-year term. The vice-presidential slot went to the North. Kwankwaso stood up and endorsed it. Peter Obi was in the room.

This means the party has formally cleared the path for its most prominent southern member to purchase the presidential form. It also means the NDC has, within weeks of receiving Obi and Kwankwaso as defectors from the ADC, structured itself around what looks like a known outcome. The convention was real. The deliberation produced a result that everyone who followed the last two weeks of Nigerian politics already expected.

The question worth asking now isn't about the candidate. It's about the party. The NDC didn't exist as a meaningful political force three months ago. It has grown through defections. Seventeen House members crossed from the ADC during plenary on a single Tuesday this month. The people moving aren't doing so because of the party's ideology. They're moving because of calculation.

That calculation works differently in opposition than it does in government. In government, defectors bring patronage networks and electoral machinery. In opposition, they bring profile and numbers on paper. Whether those numbers translate to polling units in January 2027 is a different question from whether they show up at a convention in Abuja in May 2026.

Peter Obi is the candidate the NDC is building toward. The next question is whether the NDC is a party or a vessel.

4. SHE RAN THE PROGRAMMES FOR THE POOR

The EFCC declared former Humanitarian Affairs Minister Sadiya Farouq wanted on Saturday. She administered Nigeria's social protection programmes. She's now accused of diverting the funds they ran on.

Sadiya Umar Farouq served as Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development under President Buhari from 2019 to 2023. She was 38 when she was appointed. The youngest minister in that cabinet. Her ministry ran the Conditional Cash Transfer programme, the National Home-Grown School Feeding Programme, and the National Social Safety Net operation. These were the federal government's main delivery systems for reaching Nigerians at the bottom of the income ladder.

The EFCC posted a wanted notice on its website on Saturday. The charge is 21 counts of criminal breach of trust, abuse of office, and diversion of public funds. The specific allegation at the centre of the case involves $1.3 million. A company called Visual ICT Limited was overpaid for work on the Rapid Response Register. That was the database used to identify and validate beneficiaries of the social safety net. The money was supposed to come back to the ministry. The EFCC says it was diverted instead. Along with N746.6 million in other public funds. Former Permanent Secretary Bashir Nura Alkali is also named in the charge.

Federal Capital Territory High Court issued the arrest warrant on April 16 after both defendants failed to appear for their scheduled arraignment. Farouq's lawyer said he had applied for an extension of time. The EFCC went public with the wanted notice on Saturday anyway.

This means the person responsible for determining who was poor enough to receive government support is now being investigated for diverting the money that was supposed to reach them. Nigeria's social protection programmes have always been underfunded relative to the need. In 2022, the Conditional Cash Transfer programme reached roughly 1.7 million households in a country where more than 80 million people live in extreme poverty. The gap between who the programme was meant to reach and who it actually reached was already enormous before any money was diverted.

Both things are true. The programmes were already thin. And the money that existed for them is now in question.

5. THE LENS

This week before it got loud.

Look at what was already in motion before Saturday's convention, before the wanted notice, before any of it broke through the noise.

INEC had already announced the final voter registration window would open on May 11. That announcement came on Tuesday, May 5. It went out through the News Agency of Nigeria, appeared on party websites, and generated the usual cycle of press statements. Nobody treated it as the starting gun it actually is. It's the last registration window before a presidential election.

Dangote's power announcement came on May 6, during a conversation at the IFC in Washington. It was carried by BusinessDay and Legit.ng and a handful of financial publications. The number, 20,000 megawatts, circulated on social media. But the deeper question it raised, about what it means when a private citizen steps in to do what the state was supposed to do, mostly went unexamined.

The NDC was already growing all week. Seventeen Reps crossed the floor on Tuesday. The convention was announced for Saturday. The party was taking shape in public, in real time. The question of what it was actually building was getting less attention than the names of the people joining it.

The signal the week was sending, if you were watching, was this. Nigeria's 2027 election is closer than it feels. The opposition has taken a shape. The voter registration window is not optional. The infrastructure question is being answered by people who aren't the government.

All of it was visible before Saturday arrived.

6. NOLLYWOOD'S BIGGEST NIGHT WENT TO A BRITISH-NIGERIAN FILM

My Father's Shadow won Best Movie at the 2026 AMVCA. It won at BAFTA first. The industry is still working out what to do with that.

The 12th Africa Magic Viewers' Choice Awards took place on Saturday night at Eko Hotel in Lagos. The biggest prize went to My Father's Shadow, directed by Akinola Davies Jr. and produced by Funmbi Ogunbanwo and Rachel Dargavel. It had already won Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Producer or Director at BAFTA earlier this year and received a Camera d'Or Special Mention at Cannes.

Linda Ejiofor made history. She won both Best Lead Actress for The Serpent's Gift and Best Supporting Actress for The Herd. First actress to win both categories in the same year at the AMVCA. Uzor Arukwe won Best Lead Actor for Colours of Fire. Sola Sobowale and Kanayo O. Kanayo received the Industry Merit Award.

Gingerrr entered the night with nine nominations and left without a win.

My Father's Shadow is a British-Nigerian story made outside the Lagos-Abuja production circuit. Its wins at BAFTA and now AMVCA are the story. The industry has spent years debating what counts as Nollywood and who gets to compete for its biggest prizes. A film that travelled through Cannes and London before arriving in Lagos just answered part of that question.

7. Rashford. arsenal. el clasico

THE NIGERIAN

Marcus Rashford. FC Barcelona. On loan from Manchester United. Seven goals and seven assists in La Liga this season, in a campaign that has gone far better than anyone predicted when the loan was agreed last July.

On Sunday night at Camp Nou, with Barcelona needing a win against Real Madrid to clinch La Liga, Rashford stepped up to a free kick in the first half. He hit it clean. It went in. Barcelona won 2-0. The title was confirmed. The ground went up.

Rashford is English. His family came from the Caribbean. There's no Nigerian passport in his story and no Super Eagles cap. But Asisat Oshoala, the Super Falcons forward and former Barcelona player, watched the previous weekend's match and posted about him on X. "Wow what a ball from Rashford." The connection Nigerian football fans make to players at the top level extends to those adjacent to that world. Oshoala played for this club. She watched him deliver on the same pitch. That thread matters.

What the Clasico moment reveals is simpler. A player written off at Manchester United, sent out on loan with something to prove, stepped into the biggest game in Spanish football and scored the opening goal. Barcelona's title wasn't certain before Sunday. Rashford's night made it official.

He will cost Barcelona £30.3 million to sign permanently. After Sunday, the conversation around whether they pay it has a different quality.

THE MOMENT (DOMESTIC)

Bukayo Saka was born in Ealing. His parents came from Nigeria. His father, Yomi, is Yoruba. His mother, Adenike, is Yoruba. They moved to west London before Bukayo was born, and he grew up supporting Arsenal as a child before Arsenal signed him as an academy player at seven years old.

Arsenal beat West Ham 1-0 on Sunday. Trossard scored in the 83rd minute. In stoppage time, Callum Wilson put the ball in the net and the London Stadium erupted. Then VAR disallowed it. A foul in the build-up. Arsenal survived. Five points clear of Manchester City with two games left. They host relegated Burnley next, then Crystal Palace on the final day.

Saka had a difficult afternoon. Two long-range shots skied. Below his usual level. He came off before the end. It didn't matter on Sunday. It might matter in the games ahead if City keep winning.

But here is the thing worth sitting with this week. Arsenal haven't won the Premier League in 22 years. The last time they won it was 2004, the Invincibles season, a squad built around Thierry Henry and Patrick Vieira. Saka was six years old. His parents had come to London looking for the life that Nigeria hadn't given them. Their son grew up in the city they chose, signed for the club he loved as a child. He is now three weeks away from lifting a trophy that club hasn't touched since before he could read.

That is the domestic moment. Not the VAR drama. Not the five-point gap. The fact that a Yoruba boy from Ealing might be the one who ends the wait.

THE MOMENT (EUROPE)

Real Madrid finished Sunday without a trophy. They will finish the season the same way. Barcelona beat them 2-0 at Camp Nou and clinched La Liga. The Copa del Rey was gone before that. The Champions League ended in the quarter-finals against Atletico in April. Two consecutive seasons. Nothing.

This is the moment that will run through European football for the next week because of what it means for the biggest club in the world. Madrid don't do barren stretches. Between 2015 and 2022, they won the Champions League four times. They are built for silverware. Two years without it is not a cycle. It is a crisis that hasn't been named yet.

Alvaro Arbeloa replaced Carlo Ancelotti in the dugout. He said on Sunday that his side would "learn from what happened and work even harder." He is unlikely to be the man doing that work next season. The conversation about who replaces him started before the final whistle.

Jose Mourinho's name is already in the air. Reports surfaced within hours that Florentino Perez has had contact. Mourinho denied it publicly. That denial is part of the dance. He knows it. Perez knows it. Everyone watching knows it.

Barcelona won back-to-back La Liga titles under Hansi Flick and are now in the Champions League final against Arsenal in Budapest on May 30. That final is now the thing European football is pointing toward. Madrid will be watching from home.

BEFORE YOU GO!

Someone in your circle needs to know this. Send it to them today

Join our WhatsApp Channel. Free. No spam. One update. Every morning

This Nigerian Life | Nigerian. Life. Explained.

Publishing Editor: Adeyemi EKO

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *