THE GAP

Friday, 20 February 2026

Nigeria promised. Nigeria budgeted. Nigeria did not pay.

Today's edition is about the distance between what this country announces and what it actually does.

The health ministry received ₦36 million of a ₦218 billion budget. The power grid Tinubu is still asking Germany to fix was supposed to be done in 2021. The electoral law signed this week has a loophole so well-placed it barely looks like one. And 37 miners died at a licensed site where the licence was the only thing that ever arrived.

That's the through-line today: not corruption in the obvious sense, not stolen funds you can point to, but the quieter machinery of non-delivery. Money appropriated and not released. Agreements signed and not executed. Rules passed and not enforced. The gap between the announcement and the body.

Eight stories. One pattern. Let's go.

1.

APPROVED DOESN'T MEAN RELEASED

Health Minister Muhammad Pate told the House of Representatives this month that his ministry received ₦36 million of its ₦218 billion 2025 capital allocation. That's 0.016 percent. Less than two kobo for every hundred naira appropriated. The ministry says it was ready to spend. The Accountant-General's office never released the money.

In December 2024, Tinubu stood before the National Assembly and said hospitals would be revitalised, equipment procured, care guaranteed for all Nigerians. Ten-year data shows this wasn't an unusual year — capital releases for health have fallen from 70 percent in 2021 to 15 percent in 2024. The 2025 figure is 0.016 percent.

The clinic near you that ran short of drugs last year didn't fail because nobody cared. The budget was there. Someone decided not to release it.

Read more →

2.

THREE AGENCIES, THREE DAYS

El-Rufai spent two nights at the EFCC on N432 billion fraud allegations. EFCC granted bail. The DSS picked him up on the way out — this time for saying on live television that someone wiretapped the NSA's phone. DSS released him. ICPC took him the same day.

Three agencies. One week. Zero court dates. Each bail voided by the next custody. The constitutional right to appear before a court within 24 hours exists on paper. In practice, you can be rotated through the system indefinitely without ever being charged. Malami went through the same sequence weeks ago.

El-Rufai is invoking constitutional rights he denied others when he was in power. Both things are true. The question worth sitting with: if this is what the system does to a former governor with lawyers and national attention, what does it do to everyone else?

Read more →

3.

WHEN NIGERIA CALLS GERMANY

Tinubu called Germany's new Chancellor Friedrich Merz on Wednesday to revive a power project that was supposed to be finished in 2021. The Siemens Presidential Power Initiative was signed in 2019. Target: 7,000 megawatts by 2021, 11,000 by 2023. Merz said Siemens is ready. Deutsche Bank will finance it. They'll restart what was already announced as done.

In the same nine-minute call, Tinubu asked for used, secondhand helicopters. Not new ones. Used ones. Because the Sahel corridor is deteriorating and Nigeria needs air cover for surveillance it doesn't currently have. Nigeria's 2026 defence budget is ₦5.41 trillion.

The pattern is the same as the health budget. Announced. Stalled. A phone call years later to begin again.

Read more →

4.

RESULTS ARE FINALISED BY HUMANS

1.68 million voters in Abuja go to the polls tomorrow under the Electoral Act 2026 — the first election held under the new law. The Act requires electronic transmission of results to INEC's IReV portal. It also allows manual collation if transmission "fails." No one has defined failure. No one certifies it. No one is penalised for declaring it.

INEC already clarified this week that it never promised real-time transmission. That clarification came before the first vote was cast.

Watch IReV tomorrow evening. If polling unit results appear and match the collated totals, the law is working. If network failures cluster in contested wards and results drift, you'll know exactly which clause was used. The 2027 general elections run on the same rules.

Read more →

5.

LICENSED TO DIE

37 miners died at the Kampani Zurak site in Wase, Plateau State on Wednesday morning. Carbon monoxide, lead oxide, and sulphur filled the tunnels. Most were between 20 and 35 years old.

The Minister of Solid Minerals confirmed the deaths and explained that the miners continued working because they didn't know the gas was lethal. The site operates under Mining Licence 11810, issued to Solid Unit Nigeria Limited. Nigeria has a Mines Inspectorate. The ministry has now sealed the site and sent investigators.

Sealing the site after 37 deaths is not oversight. It's cleanup.

Read more →

6.

THE RETURN

The 61st Argungu International Fishing Festival returned last weekend after a six-year pause. Abubakar Usman from Maiyama pulled a 59kg fish from the Matan Fada River with a hand net and walked home with two cars and ₦1 million.

The festival began in 1934 as a peace agreement between the Sokoto Caliphate and the Kebbi Kingdom — two groups that had been at war deciding to fish together instead. Competitors still come from Niger, Chad, and Togo. The Sarkin Ruwa who guards the river year-round said the fear of attending was still real this year.

People came anyway. Some things in Nigeria run on a different clock.

Read more →

7.

YOUR VISA IS NOW DIGITAL

From February 25 — five days from now — the UK stops issuing physical visa stickers to Nigerian applicants. Everything moves to a digital eVisa through a UKVI account. The application process doesn't change. What changes is that there will be nothing in your passport.

Existing valid stickers remain valid until they expire. But if you're mid-application or expecting approval around or after February 25, you need a UKVI account created before you reach the departure gate. Not at the airport. Before.

The account is free. The deadline is not flexible.

Read more →

8.

THE OPEN DOOR AND THE REMOVAL ORDER

Canada announced expanded Express Entry categories this week targeting healthcare professionals, researchers, and French speakers. New pathways. Better access for skilled workers already in Canada. The immigration minister said Canada is going out into the world to recruit the people it needs.

The Canada Border Services Agency is simultaneously deporting foreign nationals at its highest weekly rate in over a decade. 366 Nigerians removed between January and October 2025. Another 974 currently classified as removal in progress. Nigeria is the only African country in the top 10 deportation nationalities for 2025. Processing times for Nigerian applications have stretched from 8 to 11 weeks.

Neither story is wrong. They describe the same system from two different positions. The question isn't whether you can go to Canada. It's which Canada you're applying to.

Read more →

BEFORE YOU GO!

Someone in your circle needs to know this. Send it to them today

Join our WhatsApp Channel. Free. No spam. One update. Every morning

This Nigerian Life | Nigerian. Life. Explained.

Publishing Editor: Adeyemi EKO

0 Comments