Tuesday April 07, 2026
Nigeria's public hospitals closed this morning. The government signed a deal. Then it didn't.
Today is the day the resident doctors walked out.
Not because nothing was offered. Because something was offered, signed, and then quietly cancelled. The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors held a virtual emergency meeting last Saturday. By midnight last night, the hospitals went dark. The agreement the government made after the last strike, the one that brought doctors back in 2025, is what is now being scrapped.
That's the through-line today. Not just the hospitals. The pattern underneath them: a state that signs agreements it doesn't intend to honour, and sends the bill to the people with nowhere else to go. The doctors can't afford to stay. The patients can't afford to leave.
Here's what happened.
1. THE HOSPITAL GATE
Nigeria's resident doctors declared a total and indefinite nationwide strike beginning midnight Tuesday, April 7. The trigger was the government's April decision to scrap the Professional Allowance Table, a pay structure it had already agreed to implement after the 29-day 2025 walkout.
The demands are not new. Nineteen months of outstanding allowance arrears. The 2026 Medical Residency Training Fund. Promotion arrears at specific centres. All of them were in the agreement the government signed.
Resident doctors are the base of every public hospital ward. When they leave, surgeries stop, emergencies stack up, and the person without private clinic money has nowhere to go.
Read more →
2. THE SECOND COMMUNIQUE
NARD Secretary-General Dr. Shuaibu Ibrahim signed the communiqué that ended the 2025 doctors' strike. He signed the one that started this one too.
The government committed to the Professional Allowance Table. Implementation was set for January 2026, pushed to February, then cancelled entirely in April. Ibrahim called an emergency NEC meeting. The decision that came out was a total strike.
Both signatures carry his name. Neither was the wrong one to sign. That's the problem with trusting an agreement that has no enforcement mechanism beyond the other side's willingness.
Read more →
3. 1.2 MILLION DOLLARS, ZERO BALLOTS
Atiku Abubakar signed a $1.2 million, 12-month lobbying contract with Washington firm Von Batten-Montague-York in March 2026. The filing was registered with the US Department of Justice on April 1. At current rates, that's roughly N1.9 billion.
The firm's job is to shape Atiku's image in US policy circles, arrange meetings with Congress members, and directly counter the Nigerian government's own Washington lobbying operation.
Nigeria's 2027 presidential election is now being contested in DC briefings that most Nigerian voters will never see.
Read more →
4. THE VILLAGES WENT QUIET
Gunmen raided Kurfa Danya and Kurfan Magaji in Zamfara State's Bukkuyum LGA on Thursday night, April 3. Over 150 people, mostly women and children, were taken into the surrounding forest. Residents who escaped fled. Both communities were left largely deserted.
The local council chairman confirmed the numbers to Reuters. A joint security team was deployed. Amnesty International called it Nigeria's "forgotten conflict." On the same night, gunmen ambushed the convoy of the Zamfara Governor's Chief of Staff on the Funtua-Gusau highway.
The manhunt announcement came. The pattern has not changed.
Read more →
5. SHOOT THE JOURNALIST
FCT Minister Nyesom Wike said on live Arise TV on April 3 that he would have "broken the screen and shot" Channels anchor Seun Okinbaloye. Okinbaloye had been discussing fears of a one-party state.
Wike's spokesperson later said it wasn't literal. By April 6, Amnesty International, a 14-group civil society coalition, and the Independent Broadcast Association of Nigeria had all condemned the remark. IBAN threatened to boycott Wike's media engagements.
The Nigerian Broadcasting Commission, which regulates what can be said on Nigerian broadcast media, has said nothing.
Read more →
6.
THE JAPA PRICE JUST WENT UP
UK visa fees increase across nearly every category from tomorrow, April 8. The short-term visit visa rises from £127 to £135. Student visas from £524 to £558. Skilled worker over three years from £1,519 to £1,618. Settlement from £3,413 to £3,635. British citizenship to £1,709.
This is the third major increase since October 2023. The Immigration Health Surcharge was sharply raised in 2024. The fees have moved again, by 6 to 7 percent across most categories.
If you have a completed application that hasn't been submitted, today is the last day to submit at current rates.
0 Comments