Queer Nigerians, trafficking survivors, Middle Belt Christians, and fleeing activists all face removal after 30 months
Effective March 2, new asylum claimants in the UK no longer get five years of protection automatically. They get 30 months. Then a review. If the Home Office decides their home country is now "safe," they can be removed.
Nigeria is classified as a "safe country of origin for men" in UK asylum policy.
That classification affects more Nigerians than most people realise.
Yes, it affects queer Nigerians most sharply. To understand why, you need to understand what kito is.
Kito is a trap. Someone poses as a potential romantic partner online, usually on Grindr or Tinder. They build trust slowly. Then they arrange to meet.
What happens next is documented in case after case. A 25-year-old Lagos man named Kenneth arrived at his date's home. Four other men were there. They left. Then they came back. "They were hitting and flogging me with belts," he said. "I knew I had been set up."
They filmed it. They told him to say he was gay on camera. Then they demanded one million naira. Pay up, or the video goes to your family.
Kenneth couldn't go to the police. In Nigeria, homosexuality carries a maximum of 14 years in prison. The attackers knew this. That's not an accident. It's the business model.
The Initiative for Equal Rights documented 84 known kito cases in 2024 alone, calling them "the most consistent human rights violation perpetrated by non-state actors" against queer Nigerians. That's just the reported cases, in Lagos only. The real number is higher.
But kito victims are not the only ones this law threatens.
Nigerian women trafficked to the UK through Benin City networks face return to the same communities, sometimes the same families, that sold them. Nigeria has no functioning witness protection or rehabilitation infrastructure to receive them.
Christians from Plateau, Borno, and the Middle Belt who fled Fulani militia attacks or Boko Haram violence face a review system that classifies Nigeria as broadly safe. "Safe in Lagos" and "safe in Borno" are not the same sentence.
Journalists, whistleblowers, and anti-corruption activists who fled after credible threats face return to a country where the DSS and EFCC have been used as political weapons and no source protection law exists.
Women who fled family-sanctioned domestic violence or forced marriage face return to legal and social environments that offer limited protection and almost no enforcement.
What connects all of them is the same thing. The 30-month review doesn't weigh their individual circumstances against a nuanced reading of Nigerian reality. It weighs them against a country classification. Nigeria is "safe." Therefore you can go back.
The UK government's own country policy note, published June 2025, acknowledges death threats, lethal violence, mob attacks, blackmail, extortion and kidnapping against LGBT+ Nigerians. It's in their own documents. The same government that wrote that document also wrote the 30-month rule.
The reform is modelled on Denmark, which cut asylum approvals dramatically through similar policy changes. The UK Home Secretary visited Copenhagen before announcing it.
What Denmark learned over a decade, the UK is trying to compress into a policy change. The people paying for that experiment are the ones with the least protection at review time.
For every Nigerian in the UK on asylum grounds, the clock is now running. The question at 30 months is not "are you safe?" It's "is Nigeria safe enough?" Those are very different questions.
0 Comments